Text message schemes have become even more prevalent as financial institutions around the world begin offering more text-based services. Fraudsters using text to attempt to scam recipients often send text messages that appear to be sent from a financial institution or credit card company and ask the recipient to verify their account number or other personal information.
If you receive a text message you suspect is fraudulent do not click any links or reply to the message. Industrial Credit Union will never ask for your personal information over text.
- You receive a text message from an unknown number asking about activity on your account.
- You are asked to confirm your account or personal details by responding to a text message.
- The sender claims that fraudulent activity has been found on your account.
- The sender claims that your debit card has been canceled.
- You are advised to contact a fake fraud investigations body.
- You are discouraged from contacting Industrial CU.
TIPS TO PROTECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- Do not give out your personal, debit card or online account details over a text message.
- Do not open suspicious or unsolicited text messages; delete them.
- Do not click on any links in a spam text message.
- Never call a telephone number that you see in a spam text message.
- Never reply to a spam text message (even to unsubscribe).
- Never send your personal, debit card or online account details through a text message.